GQ’s Creative Director Jim Moore and Style Editor Will Welch break down the basics of how to wear a tie, from getting the right length to mastering the GQ tie dimple. Here’s your essential can’t-go-wrong tie guide for looking dapper:
Get the length right
Go from passable to polish with the GQ tie dimple
- Start off with a classic four around hand or the ‘four-in-hand’ knot.
- When you’re almost done tying your tie, start formatting a crease just beneath the knot with your thumb and index finger.
- GQ‘s creative director likes to pull down the narrow end of the tie to tighten the dimple, make the tie crisp, and “that knot really severe.”
- Finally set it in place.
The ‘tie lift’ is everything
- Give a little movement and character to the tie by investing in a good tie bar.
- Tug upwards, giving your tie a slack on the top.
- Clip on the tie bar, to attach your tie to your shirt.
- The tie bar gives your tie a little lift, and will keep it in place.